With our recent move I did some serious purging to our closet! In honor of “spring cleaning” I wanted to share with you 5 tips to clean out your closet. These are the “rules” I set for myself while cleaning out the closet.
1. Take a moment, and focus on your style. This can be a hard one!.. Really think about the past 6 month to a year and ask yourself what did I really wear? What were the key pieces you worn time and time again? Once you have that put together, then play off what you know. Create a family tree with your style. It’s a pain to do this, but I promise it will make the cleaning out process easier and it will really help in the getting ready process!
2. Be sure to cover your basics. Going back to the first tip, knowing your style will help you here. It’s holding on to classic/timeless pieces. Like a white button up shirt, your favorite skinny jeans, a little black dress..etc. Keep only the good one’s though. You may have multiple of these items, so filter through them and only keep the best ones.
3. Create 3 piles/sections within each section. Everyone organizes there closet differently so your sections maybe different than mine. Let’s use tops as an example; I categorized blouses and t-shirt separately making two sections. Within each of those create your three piles a yes pile, no pile, and maybe pile.
4. Now that you have your 3 piles/sections you can use the veto rule. For each section blouses then t-shirts and so on, you can have 3 veto’s out of your “maybe pile”. Only 3! haha!
5. Have fun! I know cleaning out your closet can be a daunting task, so have fun with it! Make fun of yourself for some of the clothes you have worn in the past. Oh boy… I sure did! Turn on some music and dance a little! It will be worth it when it’s all done!
I hope these tips help, and Happy Spring Cleaning!